[We are] not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. (Romans 1:16)

Monday, November 19, 2007

The Church is the real Queen of Heaven

by Matthew



Naturally, as fundamentalists we consider the marian veneration of the Roman Catholic church to be idolatry and abhorrent.

I do think the image of the Virgin is a striking one. The idea of worshipping Mary as goddess seems to me incredibly seductive. Sometimes I feel like converting to Roman Catholicism. However, I know that to do so would be a denial of the Gospel of grace and a denial of the authority of the Word of God. It would be apostasy from everything I believe in.



Much as the Roman Catholics apply the term 'Queen of Heaven' to the mother of our Lord, it seems to be far more appropriate to call the church the 'Queen of Heaven.'

We cannot go to far in emphasising the future glory of the church.

The church is the bride of Christ. The church was hidden in the eternal counsels of God. Christ loved the church before the foundation of the world and the formation of the church as the holy bride of Christ is the highest and greatest fruit of divine grace.

Ephesians 5
25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26 that he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

27 that he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

30 for we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.


Just as a husband and wife become united in their flesh, in our mystic union with Christ, we are united to Him. The church is thus the body of Christ. This union will be realised in the resurrection, when our flesh is transfigured into the likeness of Christ. Our flesh will be deified in Him. Just as Christ's humanity is joined in inseperable union with His divine nature, our flesh will also be united to the godhead through union with Christ. It will come to share in that heavenly glory which our risen Lord posesses now. The union that we now know only spiritually will be realised physically.

Revelation 19
7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honor to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.


A queen is granted all the splendour and dignity of her royal husband. So will the church. In the eschaton, the glory and beauty of the church will be displayed before the entire cosmos.

A king does not necessarilly share his governmental authority with his queen. However, in the case of Christ and His church, there certainly is joint rule. The saints are called to reign with Christ, to share in His sovereign government.

Revelation 22
1 And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

4 and they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.

5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.


Receiving the privilege of reigning with Christ is dependant upon faithful service. However, all believers are indwellt with the Holy Spirit. They are sanctified in Christ. Every believer has the power to overcome, to live a life of faithful service. The church is called to be a victorious people. The yoke of Christ is easy and His burden is light.

1 Corinthians 2
9 But as it is written,
Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard,
neither have entered into the heart of man,
the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Labels:

24 Comments:

  • >" Sometimes I feel like converting to Roman Catholicism. However, I know that to do so would be a denial of the Gospel of grace and a denial of the authority of the Word of God. It would be apostasy from everything I believe in."

    Um, no. No, it wouldn't. Catholics believe and teach that salvation is by grace and nothing in the Catholic faith is in opposition to scripture, just opposition to many individual's interpretations of scripture. Two different things.

    >"Roman Catholics apply the term 'Queen of Heaven' to the mother of our Lord,"

    This is because Mary is an OT queen. As mother of the King, Mary is automatically queen. See 1Kings 2:12-20 and the relationships of Soloman to Bathsheba. Queen Bathsheba was Soloman's mother, not his wife. Catholics are very literal when it comes to the authority of the Word.

    >"The idea of worshipping Mary as goddess seems to me incredibly seductive."

    Yes, it it is. That's why Catholics are very careful not to worship Mary, but only to honor her. Worship is reserved unto God alone. Luke 1 does say Mary said, "all generations will call me blessed." Again, Catholics are very literal regarding the Word.

    God bless...

    By Blogger Timothy, at Monday, November 19, 2007 3:33:00 AM  

  • Matthew;
    You left off the best part of the quotation (1 Cor.2:9)
    (Verse 10) but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.

    By Blogger Paul G, at Monday, November 19, 2007 4:20:00 AM  

  • Paul G, yes that is good.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Monday, November 19, 2007 4:35:00 AM  

  • Timothy, thankyou for visiting.

    The Roman Catholic church teaches that entrance into heaven depends upon lifelong obediance.

    In contrast Scriptures teaches that present posession of everlasting life is appropriated by faith.

    Our Lord said to Martha:

    'I am the resurrection and the life. He that believeth in me, though he were dead yet shall he live, and he that liveth and believeth shall never die.'

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Monday, November 19, 2007 5:10:00 AM  

  • Timothy,

    Why would you not worship Mary when she is evidently greater than God whom you say you do worship?

    Your church imprimateurs a book* and canonised its author* that tells me that Mary is omnipotent and can do what she wills with God and that God is subject to her will and that Jesus Christ finds it impossible to deny her.

    * The Glories of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori - on sale in a RC bookshop here in Cork City.

    By Blogger Colin Maxwell, at Monday, November 19, 2007 7:37:00 AM  

  • Some good thoughts here, but I have to admit that I have no temptation at all to worship Mary. Maybe we do in our humanity have a tendency to idolize her like we do a lot of theologians and preachers but as far as that Roman stuff...dude count me out. I get the hebee gebees. I get a little hebegebe as well thinking about the false Mother Babylon saying..I sit as a queen and am no widow. Woooooooohooooooeeeew.

    Thats just the way I get. I guess I grew up reading to many chick comics:-)

    But I do think of the picture of the bride as something beautiful that you do grasp well. I like how you highlight it in your articles.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Monday, November 19, 2007 6:45:00 PM  

  • The gifts of Tyre do abound though from all over. He does greatly desire our beauty that he bled to bring to pass. I always love to sing that song by Marty Goetz. "We are His bride, taken from His side, where blood and water fell from the broken heart of Israel"

    We are his beloved possession and he greatly anticipates our complete union with Himself.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Monday, November 19, 2007 6:49:00 PM  

  • Thanks for your comments, Brian.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:48:00 AM  

  • This is one of the things that gives me the heebie-jeebies about RC is the memory I have of all those "May Crownings" (Mary worship). TO this day I have to watch my mother with her garden statues of the blessed mother and her rosaries.

    To me, Marian veneration is Christendom's oldest women's lib movement.

    "Anything a man can do, a woman can do too."

    examples:

    Jesus ascends to heaven, so Mary is assumed into heaven.

    Jesus is born without sin, so Mary has been immaculately conceived.

    It is crazily extrabiblical, but very creative and gender sensitive.

    By Blogger Rose~, at Tuesday, November 20, 2007 4:50:00 AM  

  • Rose, I think it is pretty rotten.

    But Mariolatry was not really the main point of this post.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:37:00 AM  

  • Funny how easily we get stuck on a single point isn't it? And how so often it is started by someone pointing out what they don't agree with. I'm not going to say what I think about Timothy's post, as I don't agree with him, and I think everyone else pretty much summed up my own sentiments, however, what bugs me is that the deity of Mary became a discussion here at all.

    It would be so easy for me to jump in and state all the ways that the Catholic religion counters the Bible, but all that would do is make someone mad, and it would focus the attention on myself, instead of pointing the way to Jesus Christ.

    Matthew did an eloquent job of painting the bride in the light she (we) are displayed with in the Bible. We are not just any bride, we are the bride of Christ. I like how Matthew stated that the spiritual union we have now, will be realized in physical union, through the glorified bodies we will receive in the resurrection. But vice versa as well, when we think of that wonderful union and fellowship we will have in Heaven with our Heavenly Father, with our Savior, and with each other, it reminds us that we can have that same union here on earth on a spiritual level. Why do we so often spend time arguing over things that detract from the glory of God, as well as cause division and discord between brothers and sisters in Christ? In my opinion, nothing is worth sacrificing that fellowship, as long as the differences aren't over the validaty of the Bible, the deity of Christ, or how someone becomes a child of God. Beyond that, the Holy Spirit truly is in each one of us, and has the power to overcome any obstacle, if we just surrender to His authority and power in our lives.

    By Blogger Amanda Carranza-Ballew, at Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:24:00 PM  

  • Indwelltdaughter, thanks a lot for your comment.

    I am glad you appreciated this post.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:18:00 AM  

  • Indweltdaughter,
    Your comment convicted me this morning when I read the email notificatioin of it. I made my comment having only read the other comments and not having read Matthew's wonderful post here. I was busy, but not too busy to jump in and blabber on about RC. You are right - sometimes we are quick to jusr react that which we can criticise or disagree with.

    Matthew,
    What an encouragement! I love the verses you ended this post with. What a hope to look forward to.

    The union that we now know only spiritually will be realised physically.

    This is an awesome, awesome thought. Thank you for this post and I am sorry I commented earlier in reaction only to other comments without having read your edifying thoughts here.

    Every Blessing in Christ

    By Blogger Rose~, at Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:34:00 AM  

  • Thanks, Rose.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Wednesday, November 21, 2007 6:36:00 AM  

  • Like I said...i get the hebee gebeees and run like honey on a hot day when it comes to Mariolatry. It is definately a stink or a fly in the sweet ointment of communion with the Lord. I dont have to apologize for that and never do I feel compelled to do so. My hatred for Romanism is a thorough and perfect hatred and I praise the Lord for it. I certainley hope that others will repent and flee the deceptions of Rome and steer clear of any temptations to go there. Cut it off with the sword of truth and stay battle hardened and ready while keeping a heart for those deceived and staying in the love of God.

    We all gotta save with fear but hate the garments defiled by the flesh....and encourage others to keep that level of hatred and a healthy peak.

    Resting firmly in his amazing love grip,

    Brian

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Wednesday, November 21, 2007 1:40:00 PM  

  • Rose and Brian,

    Rose ~ I'm thankful that what I said led you to be encouraged as you read Matthew's post regarding our identity as the bride, and the many insightful and encouraging things he had to say, but I hope you know that causing conviction was not my intent!
    and Brian ~ Jumping into an argument, especially regarding RC is something that is extremely easy for me to do, and I agree there is a time and a place for taking a stand against anything that contradicts the Word of God, I was just saddened that the righteous anger people have against what contradicts God's Word kept them from seeing the encouragement Matthew was trying to offer us in love. As brothers and sisters in Christ, it is my conviction that nothing we can do for each other is more beneficial than encouragement. In otherwords, pointing each other to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

    Yes, many times this will require us to take a stand together against that which contradicts God's wonderful plan of salvation, and what contradicts His character as our loving Heavenly Father. I just think there should be a healthy balance. Constantly venting frustration against the "wiles of the devil" will just prevent us from giving encouragement, and I know that that is something that Satan most definately wants. The Bible is very clear on how important fellowship and encouragement is between brothers and sisters in Christ, and I just hope that can be our focus, as well as taking a stand against what we know to be false.

    All the spiritual blessings in our Savior

    ~Amanda

    By Blogger Amanda Carranza-Ballew, at Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:43:00 PM  

  • Hey Amanda. There is some truth to what you say, but sometimes we get saddened and sometimes we are glad at differing times. You are you and I am I and God is God.

    Let it Be. Sometimes we also need to just accept that:-)

    But we are all differant.

    Resting firmly in His love grip and unashamed for not necessarily always agreeing with the detours Matthew takes but wanting to encourage him in areas where I do agree. I encourage you to be content with not being able to change people. It is a good place to rest,

    Brian

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Thursday, November 22, 2007 11:12:00 AM  

  • If you get to know Matthew then you will see that he is one of the cleverist nitpickers I know and thats fine. I am not interested in changing him, but I am glad he allows me the same liberties in other areas. Sometimes I also think we all need to lighten up and accept some friction in our discussion as well.

    It is good to be nice at times though.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Thursday, November 22, 2007 11:14:00 AM  

  • BTW, no puns intended with that old Beetle song about Mother Mary and letting it be:-)

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Thursday, November 22, 2007 4:02:00 PM  

  • Dear Brian,

    I'm sorry if I came across as thinking that you should feel ashamed of your sentiments towards Catholicism. I hope you never lose the righteous anger you have towards anything that detracts, contradicts, or outright opposes the Word of God.

    I guess I wasn't taking into account that the LORD leads each of us to write different things, and that He can use all of it. I believe that God is leading me to encourage wherever possible, and to strive to point towards the LORD in everything I say, write, and do, but that doesn't mean my purpose should detract or counter the message the LORD has led someone else to write, and I'm sorry if it seemed I was trying to do that.

    By Blogger Amanda Carranza-Ballew, at Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:33:00 PM  

  • And btw, I don't think that God isn't using you to encourage and point others towards Christ, just that God can use us to do it in different ways. At the moment He is using me by inspiring me to point to the positive, and He appears to be using you to do the same thing as you take a firm stance against the teachings of Roman Catholocism.

    By Blogger Amanda Carranza-Ballew, at Thursday, November 22, 2007 11:02:00 PM  

  • Hi Amanda,

    Nothing to be sorry about Daughter of God. I am glad you caught my point though. The blogisphere is often too one dimensional:-)

    There have been plenty of times where I misunderstood others. Its also helped me to understand how God works differantly in others lives and accept that as well. There are differant parts to the body of Christ.

    Resting firmly in His love grip and Love in Christ,

    Bhedr

    By Blogger Only Look, at Friday, November 23, 2007 10:59:00 AM  

  • Hi Brian,

    Thank you, and you got it right about the blogosphere being so one-dimensional.

    I'm glad that what could have become a disagreement has allowed us to fellowship more around our Savior, and what it is He has in store for each of us.

    The many blessings in Christ

    ~Amanda

    By Blogger Amanda Carranza-Ballew, at Saturday, November 24, 2007 10:38:00 AM  

  • Amen. God bless you sis. See you in heaven one day as we fellowship around that blessed table as we feast in the joy of becoming His bride.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Sunday, November 25, 2007 11:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home