[We are] not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. (Romans 1:16)

Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Blessedness of a Burden

by David

When do you do your best praying? What if our prayers were recorded for us to see at all times? Would there be certain times when they would be free of the clutter of cliches & be most heartfelt? Have you ever prayed, or felt like praying a prayer like this: "I wish I had wings like a dove! Then I could fly away and be at rest. Yes, I would flee to a place far off, I would stay in the desert." That is Psalm 55:6-7 from the Complete Jewish Bible, translated by David Stern.
My question in this post is this: Are there times when God does NOT deliver us from burdens? Or, are there times when He even sends us into a spiritual storm? I am sure many if not all of you reading this know what I am getting at, & that there are indeed those times in our lives as believers. Reading Matthew 14:22ff as well as chapter 8:23-27 in that same Gospel reveals that there are times that the Lord sends us into storms, or goes with us into them & then seems to fall asleep, leaving us to manuever through it somehow, all the time feeling totally hopeless. Why am I saying this? Just to say, that there is such a thing as the blessedness of a burden. David was extremely burdened as he wrote Psalm 55. A dear friend, probably Ahithophel his once trusted advisor, betrayed him & defected to Absalom's side during a particularly difficult time in David's life. But, during that time, David prayed like this: "Listen, God, to my prayer! Don't hide yourself from my plea! Pay attention to me, and answer me! I am panic-stricken as I make my complaint, I shudder at how the enemy shouts, at how the wicked oppress; for they keep heaping trouble on me and angrily tormenting me. My heart within me is pounding in anguish, the terrors of death press down on me, fear and trembling overwhelm me, horror covers me." But he also tells us that this burden led him to pray morning, noon & evening, pouring out his heart to God, all the while learning to trust Him more & more. I wonder, does this sound familiar to you? Our God, though He may seem to have left us or fallen asleep, leaving us to go it alone, is right there in the boat of life with us, teaching us to rely on Him, making us into Christ's image! What a wonderful God we serve.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • I remember a preacher preaching from this Psalm about 10 years ago and my heart seeming so distant to it and not seeming to grasp what he was saying, but man, it is like you say...burdens, time and some that tear at your soul and pressure that seems to have no release causes you to beg God to fly away, but you know that request will not be granted and you must bare the news that His grace is sufficient in these hours that never seem to end.

    Now you are re-preaching that old sermon I at one time vagely remembered as it only seemed to whisper in the pleasures of life that I at one time merely wrestled with in my conscience but now like a gong going off the sermon is so real and powerful now as you write this little bit of it. Day and night brother. The pressure that drives us to further intimacy with Him and makes it our only option and what a blessed only option it is. For he wants us to lay at rest in the storm as he is at rest. How impossible it seemed at times but how real it is now. Truly those who hunger and thirst after righteousness will be filled and often it takes the same furnace of affliction that David passed through. His battles never ended until he died and we must have the courage to face the same reality in the strength of the Holy Spirit. Can you imagine the strength and faith it also took after Absalom died and the man who killed him is preaching to him and telling him that he needs to stop being an emotional wreck or it is going to influence the nation in a bad way. I imagine he wanted to fly away there while Joab was telling him that all of his sins from youth till now had caught up with him. He didnt argue with Joab. He had to face the reality of his sorrow and how everyone misunderstood the love he had for his son that also betrayed him. He had to get up and sit by the gate. Can you imagine Dave? Phew.

    The same God of David is also our God and we too can believe that He will see us through the worst circumstances we havent begun to even imagine yet.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Saturday, November 17, 2007 4:45:00 PM  

  • Good comments bro. Brian. It seems to be the trials that actually draw us closer to the Lord if we let them. God Bless!

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at Saturday, November 17, 2007 7:17:00 PM  

  • David, thanks for this post.

    I am glad that we are including more devotional stuff on this blog.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Sunday, November 18, 2007 6:52:00 AM  

  • Amen Matthew. May Davids posts draw us further into his presence with a deeper understanding of grace. It seems thats the way Jesus did it as well. You think perhaps thats the needful part Jesus was telling Martha about?

    By Blogger Only Look, at Sunday, November 18, 2007 10:50:00 AM  

  • I think the best part is Christ Himself. We need to know more of His presence and to know more about Him.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Sunday, November 18, 2007 11:21:00 AM  

  • Great insight Matthew. I believe you are most powerfully correct...it is then we will know the full measure of His grace as we Behold Him face to face and gaze upon His beauty.

    Amen.

    By Blogger Only Look, at Sunday, November 18, 2007 12:55:00 PM  

  • Thank you bro. Matthew & bro. Brian. I know I desperately need my Lord's love & grace since I am so failing & faulty. Y'all are a blessing. God Bless.

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at Sunday, November 18, 2007 7:10:00 PM  

  • David,
    Great thoughts! We sang a song in church today that was about the blessings and the hardships and saying "blessed be the name of the Lord" during both. It is the hardships though, that make us really look more to the Lord, I agree. Then again, I don't want to ask for any hardships, I don't need to borrow any trouble. :~)

    By Blogger Rose~, at Sunday, November 18, 2007 7:26:00 PM  

  • Right on target Rose as per usual! You know I rememebr reading some R.E. Neighbour books in which he hsaid much the same thing. Some of the trials the Lord has brought us through I'd not trade for anytuing, but I certainly don't want to ask for more like them! Thankfully the Lord knmows just what we need. Y'all are a blessing.

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at Monday, November 19, 2007 7:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home