[We are] not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. (Romans 1:16)

Friday, January 04, 2008

Do you agree with this quotation? XXII

by Antonio da Rosa
The following is taken from the blog of a Doctoral student at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is an avowed Calvinist with these links on his blog:

Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals
Desiring God Ministries
Founders Ministries
Grace to You
JETS Online
Ligonier Ministries
Monergism
Nine Marks Ministries
reformation21
Sovereign Grace Ministries
Tim Keller Resources

You can find this entry at this address: Is Perseverance Necessary for Eternal life?

Read this post and see what the author's answer to this question is. Such a post as this is the heritage and legacy of Reformed and Calvinistic Lordship Salvation. It is nothing but works-salvation.


While there are many in the evangelical world today who claim that salvation is only by faith, the Bible clearly teaches that salvation involves good works and that they are necessary to experience eternal life. Justification is by faith alone, but salvation, taken as a whole, is by faithfulness. Zane Hodges, Charles Ryrie, Charles Stanley and other no-Lordship proponents claim that a person's heavenly inheritance is secure based on a decision that the person made at some point in his past without respect to whether or not the person is presently living a godly life.

Contrary to that antinomian (against the law) vision of Christianity, Christ teaches that the only one who will enter the kingdom of heaven is "the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 7:23). And, God's "will" is not limited to "faith alone," but includes faith, repentance, love, and good works of faithful obedience to God's law. Mark 13:13 says, "The one who endures to the end will be saved." Christ said that the man whose house stands is the one who "hears my words and does them" (Luke 6:46). In context, this "doing" of Christ's words cannot be reduced to the act of "faith alone," but includes a robust godliness (Luke 6:20-45). Christ very pointedly told the disciples "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love" (John 15:10).

The epistles are full of such admonition. 1 Corinthians 10:12 says, "Therefore, let anyone who thinks that he stands, take heed lest he fall." Then again in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." 2 Corinthians 5:10 says, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil." In Galatians, Paul warns us, "For in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love" (Galatians 5:6). Later in the same letter, Paul wrote, "For the one who sows to his own flesh, will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life" (Galatians 6:8).

In the book of Hebrews, we find many warnings that teach us of the necessity of perseverance for the experience of eternal live. "For we share in Christ, if we hold fast our original confidence firm to the end" (Hebrews 3:14). "Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear, lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it" (Hebrews 4:1). "Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience" (Hebrews 4:11). "And being made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him" (Hebrews 5:9). "For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for our sins but a fearful expectation of judgment and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries" (Hebrews 10:26). "Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).

The book of Revelation too, warns us that we must be overcomers in order to inherit the promised future blessing. "To the one who conquers, I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God" (Revelation 2:7). "Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life" (Revelation 2:10). "The one who conquers, I will grant to sit with my on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne" (Revelation 3:21).

Finally, "The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son, but as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death" (Revelation 21:7-8).

10 Comments:

  • Amen brother!!! That's the full council of God!!!

    blessings alvin

    By Blogger alvin, at Friday, January 04, 2008 7:53:00 PM  

  • Hi Antonio

    You know that sick feeling you get in your stomach when you realize you said something wrong! And it's to late to take it back, well that's how I feel right now.
    Let me explain myself if I can.

    his words
    While there are many in the evangelical world today who claim that salvation is only by faith, the Bible clearly teaches that salvation involves good works and that they are necessary to experience eternal life. Justification is by faith alone, but salvation, taken as a whole, is by faithfulness. Zane Hodges, Charles Ryrie, Charles Stanley and other no-Lordship proponents claim that a person's heavenly inheritance is secure based on a decision that the person made at some point in his past without respect to whether or not the person is presently living a godly life.

    When I read the word “salvation” I took it in the general sense. And when he said “experince eternal life” my mind automatically went to “abundant life.” When he said “salvation taken as a whole” my thinking was we do have to work out our faith with fear and trembling which has to do with our walk. When he mentioned Zane and Charles and Charles. The only way I can explain my thinking there was I must have been in the “twilight zone.” Or maybe I was experiencing medopause, if men can have that??? When I “read heavenly inheritance” my mind instantly thought rewards which can be lost.
    Anyway I feel my self sinking now, so I won’t go on to explain the rest. I think I need my nap at this time.

    Sorry for the confusion, I’m really embarrassed for not reading this with my eyes open. A lesson learned!!!
    Blessings alvin

    By Blogger alvin, at Friday, January 04, 2008 8:43:00 PM  

  • No, I dont agree with this.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:31:00 AM  

  • Alvin,
    I hope you are getting some rest. :~)

    Antonio,
    I do not agree with the views in this quote. Interestingly, I went to the link and was reading some of the comments. I found the author of that blog quite polite from what I read. That is always nice.

    I also saw where he said this:

    If you sincerely want to know what I believe about the nature of justification, sanctification and eternal life, I will be happy to recommend a few resources to you. For now, I'll just say that I essentially hold John Calvin's view, which is taught in his Institutes.

    I think that statement says a lot.

    By Blogger Rose~, at Saturday, January 05, 2008 6:14:00 AM  

  • No bro. Antonio, I do not agree with the quote. Thankfully, eternal life doesn't rest on any decision I might make or certainly not on any supposed good works on my part. It does rest entirely on the person, work & promise of my dear Savior on Whom I trust. Thank you for getting back to this important issue. God Bless you my brother.

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at Saturday, January 05, 2008 1:00:00 PM  

  • Ok, Ok, Ok, Rose.

    I will call you.

    Alvin,

    I could re-write this post almost verbatim, switching some things around and doing a little substitution and we would be pleased. I know what you are saying.

    Dave and Matt,

    I am for the clear gospel presentation and invitation. That means I am trying to persuade Lordshippers and wishy-washy Free Gracers.

    Antonio

    By Blogger Antonio, at Saturday, January 05, 2008 2:41:00 PM  

  • Wow, is this what the students of these teachers are getting out of reading and hearing them? This does not bode well for future generations. We will soon be back to a works based righteousness with the grace of Christ thrown in for good measure.

    Failing to separate justification by faith from sanctification as a process of obedience to the Spirit of God with ultimately lead to a very distraught individual.

    How can you build upon a foundation which is constantly shifting???

    By Blogger Jim, at Saturday, January 05, 2008 7:09:00 PM  

  • Hi everyone! It's been a while, but I'm back.

    This is rapid-fire prooftexting at its finest. So, to keep it short and simple, I do not agree with these assertions, even though they seem biblical.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, January 06, 2008 6:02:00 PM  

  • Did I say "finest"? I meant that it was rapid-fire prooftexting at its worst.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, January 06, 2008 6:04:00 PM  

  • Welcome back, Ender!

    By Blogger Rose~, at Wednesday, January 09, 2008 7:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home