[We are] not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. (Romans 1:16)

Monday, August 27, 2007

Extract from a sermon by Jack Hyles

by Jack Hyles

Hebrews 12:4-8

"Here we learn that if you are really a child of God and have really been born into God's family, when you do wrong and stay in that wrong, Jesus says, "Let me pick you up." If you say, "No, I will go ahead again, I'll curse again; I'll drink again; and I'll lust again," then Jesus Christ will do what any parent would do. He'll say "Okay. Bend over."

You are going to get a tanning. You can expect it. You know, spankings are wonderful because they tell you that somebody owns you. I don't spank your children. Just in case I pickyou up this morning and spank you, then you can say "Well he is still my daddy." I spank mine.


When you stumble in sin, the Lord says tenderly and lovingly, "I've come to pick you up." If you won't let Him pick you up, then He says "Bend over!"

You mark my word, dear brother, you are going to have a car wreck; you are going to lose your job; you are going to go to hospital. If you're a Christian and refuse to get back up, you are ruined for being happy in this world any more. God made you a new creature, and just as the old man fights against the new man when you are doing right, the new man puts up a stiff battle. You will not be happy in this world because that new man is going to fight you and prick your conscience over and over again. So let me say, when you fall and stumble, let Jesus pick you up, lest He put His chastening rod upon you.

First, Jesus reminds you that He wants to pick you up. If you refuse, He will spank you. God will take you on to heaven.

You have said to your children "Now listen, if you can't behave yourself, you have to come into the house. You are not going to play outside and be bad."

Finally you will say, "Come on in. If you can't behave yourself outside, come in and sit right beside Mama."

If God asks you to get right and you don't, He spanks you. If He spanks you and you still don't do right, God will say "Okay, come on up to heaven where I can keep my eyes on you."

Christ is not going to let you smear His testimony and His name. When it comes to the place that your life will do more harm to the Gospel of Jesus Christ than your death, He will take you home. In John 15:2 we read "Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away..."


You are back in sin, you are miserable. You are not happy. What can you do? First realise the harm that your stumbling has done to your testimony. Somebody has been watching you. Somebody has had his eyes on you. Somebody has been saying that 'if he sticks, I am going to come to God.' All of a sudden you hurt your testimony. Realise the awfulness of it!

Secondly, claim 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.""

(Taken from The Hyles Church Manual, p.298-299)

18 Comments:

  • Excellent extract.

    By Blogger Andrew McNeill, at Monday, August 27, 2007 12:46:00 PM  

  • I am glad you liked it.

    Though I do not think I would preach in that style.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Monday, August 27, 2007 12:47:00 PM  

  • Perhaps it isn't the best way of presenting that truth but personally I find it convicting. Perhaps the sheer bluntness of it could awaken some believers to their need of bearing fruit for God.

    Blessings,
    Andrew

    By Blogger Andrew McNeill, at Monday, August 27, 2007 1:10:00 PM  

  • Yes, it is absolutely true what he says.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Monday, August 27, 2007 1:15:00 PM  

  • Sounds like this guy thinks that there is accountability for the Christian.

    Arminians believe it too: they can lose their salvation.

    Calvinists believe it: they just prove they are born again. So practically it is the same.

    But this guy seems to preach real accountability. He almost sounds FG.

    Antonio

    By Blogger Antonio, at Monday, August 27, 2007 2:40:00 PM  

  • I think Jodie described Jack Hyles as FG a while back, but I do not know how consistent he was.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:32:00 AM  

  • I like it! It makes sense to me. Perfect sense.

    By Blogger Rose~, at Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:13:00 PM  

  • I thinkn he was a hollering preacher.

    By Blogger Rose~, at Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:13:00 PM  

  • I am glad it makes great sense to you, Rose.

    I have never heard a preacher say things like that.

    God Bless

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:06:00 PM  

  • I was raised on that kind of preaching, but you have Lordshipers in the fundy camp too, because after Jack Hyles would preach a revival at our church a couple weeks later Dr Hardisson would come as a special speaker and lay it on thick with the Lordship talk and repentence. That ol boy could lay it down to. I saw him a few months ago graying and preaching even harder now it seems in his 80's.

    Yeah I remember Dr Hyles at our church. People I didn't know would be packin the pews and he would holler thats true and amens would abound all around like a pipe organ, but then one guy up front got real jiggy with the amens and started screaming and Jack looked down at him and said, "Brother there's a nursery over yonder in the hallway."

    Everything got quiet for a little bit after that and then they started back up again.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:45:00 PM  

  • Yes, as far as I know bro. Hyles was basically free-grace. He would have taken the change-of-mind view of salvific repentance I believe. He was pretty closely related to the Sword of the Lord, a ministry I greatly appreciate except for their KJV-Only views, which I respectfully disagree with, & the emphasis is on respectfully!
    By the way, there has been some question concerning bro. Hyles' personal life in some way, if I remember right. Don't know the details & even if the rumors were true. But thank you bro. Matthew for posting this. I like it as well. This is Biblically-correct stuff!

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:48:00 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:56:00 PM  

  • Matthew,

    I heard plenty of "bend over" and "take you to the woodshed" sermons growing up.

    One of the most bizzarre things in our area though is, well, one of the hollerers that left the church my wife grew up in that believed in the FG teaching solidly but was angry all the time, was replaced by another preacher that came in that who mild and very joyful but is strongly Lordship. The most bizzarre thing is...the Free Gracer led the Lorshiper to the Lord when he was a teenager and then attended the Bible School he recomended. Now the Free Gracer is strongly a free gracer and will boldly speak out against Lorship teaching, but yet they eat dinner together and rejoice in the Lord together. Go figure. It just dosen't make a whole lot of sense to me anymore and I have just come to the same conclusion Bobby Grow has. These men are both saved and leading people to the Lord and with much respect this is an obsession that I think has little profit.

    I Love you guys and know I will see you in heaven as you all love the lord as well. I am learning that every one has differing anxieties that come as a result of areas of personal baggage that we may carry that I think the Lord spend our life weaning us from.

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:01:00 PM  

  • Dave,

    It was a matter concerning adultery that I think remains to this day as an unsovled mystery. Of all things my best friend in High School personally challenged him on it when he slipped in to Dr Rodney Bells office and asked, "Brother Hyles, I gotta know, is this true?"

    Brother Hyles proceeded to give my friend a quick and hasty "Bend Over" sermon most short and sweet and called for Dr Bell to get him out of there. I still can't believe my friend did that.

    In the end everyone I think sort of agreed to give Dr Hyles the benefit of the doubt as he called his congregation to. They passed out stickers and signs I am told that said, "I am 100% for Jack Hyles"

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:08:00 PM  

  • BTW, while I may not be "100% for Jack Hyles" I agree "100% with Jack Hyles"

    By Blogger Bhedr, at Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:17:00 PM  

  • Brian, thanks for sharing your experience and your memories of Jack Hyles and Co.

    I am sure you had some great times, but I am sure you had some less pleasent memories too.

    David, thanks for commenting.

    Sword of the Lord- They are not KJV-Only, are they? Did they not begin with John Rice, who was not KJV-Only?

    Every Blessing in Christ

    Matthew

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:25:00 AM  

  • Yes, they were not under Dr. Rice, but drifted that way & they are now KJO under Dr. Shelton. A good ministry, though, & Dr. Shelton is a good man as well. God Bless.

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:22:00 AM  

  • I'm sorry, I meant Dr. Shelton Smith.

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home