[We are] not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. (Romans 1:16)

Friday, April 20, 2007

Sad but True (an incomplete list)

by Antonio da Rosa


1) Christian people's faith "shipwrecked" (1 Tim 1:18-20)

2) Christians going "astray from the truth" (2 Tim 2:17-19)

3) Christians going "astray from the faith" (1 Tim 6:20-21)

4) Christians "wander[ing] from the truth" (James 5:19)

5) God's "righteous one" who has the possibility of "shrink[ing] back" (Heb 10:38-39)

6) Galatian Christians who lose their faith in Christ for grace and rely upon the flesh and law, who severed themself from Christ (Gal 5:2)

7) Galatian Christians fallen from grace (Gal 5:4)

8) Galatian Christians liable to judgment (Gal 5:10)

9) The Spirit "explicitely says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons" (1 Tim 4:13) [Ed. Note: You cannot fall away from something that you were not once in]

10) Christians denying the faith and therefore are "worse than an unbeliever" (1 Tim 5:8)

11) Christian widows "turn... aside to follow Satan" (1 Tim 5:14-15)

12) I see Demas (2 Tim 4:10), Phygelus and Hermogenes (2 Tim 1:15), and a number of unnamed people (2 Tim 4:16) abandoning Paul for wordly ambitions.

13) Christians who are "in opposition" who are in a "snare of the devil" and are held "captive by him to do his will" (2 Tim 2:24-26).

It should concern us all that there are true Christians who apostasize from the faith. They will lose their soul (life), face shame and suffer loss.

All of us have the potential to apostasize, thus the dozens of warnings against apostasy in the New Testament. There is much at stake.

Yet God be praised. One thing is eternally off the table: hell.

Your thoughts?

7 Comments:

  • My thoughts?

    I have to take the scripture accounts of persons to be able to fall away from faith in Christ to worldly desires.

    But if we are faithless He is faithful because He CANNOT deny Himself.


    I agree Antonio.

    By Blogger Kris, at Saturday, April 21, 2007 12:23:00 AM  

  • Thanks for posting this, Antonio.

    By Blogger Matthew Celestine, at Saturday, April 21, 2007 1:38:00 AM  

  • Amen to that! I fell away from the faith and even became an athiest for two years, cursing God and Christ to my shame! I had lots of people tell me I was going to hell, and I can understand why they believed that, I sure did deserve to. But I thank God that even those i was a terribly great sinner, I have a Savior much greater than any sin! Praise the Lord for his great mercy!


    MT

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, April 22, 2007 9:24:00 AM  

  • Great post, Antonio! I'm going cut and paste this into my word processor and format it in a way that will make it inviting to read and show it to some of my buddies. This is a crux issue!

    Blessings!

    By Blogger Unknown, at Sunday, April 22, 2007 9:03:00 PM  

  • Antonio,
    I think there is really no other legitimate way of looking at this than the obvious which you have layed out. It is really not that hard to see.

    Good job!

    By Blogger Rose~, at Friday, April 27, 2007 6:31:00 AM  

  • Bro. Antonio,

    Thanks again for this post. I wish I was a good debater. I just seem to get my tongue tied up around my ankles & am not able to articulate my beliefs as well as you & some others do (Rose!) But I appreciate you, brother & am thankful you are my brother in Christ.
    I am in a discussion on another forum regarding the interpretation of 1 Jn.1:9. Check it out when you get a chance. I really fumbled the ball there, I believe. See what you think if you don't mind sometime. http://rapturewatch.proboards38.com/index.cgi?board=devotional&action=display&thread=1177767205&page=2

    God Bless!

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:58:00 PM  

  • Forgive my negligence bro. Michael, in giving a hearty "AMEN" to your post! Thankful you are back in fellowship with our wonderful Savior!

    By Blogger David Wyatt, at Sunday, June 03, 2007 11:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home